Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
Title: Human Resources Intern
Employment Type: Internship, Fixed
HR Department Summary Overview
- The Human Resources department has been serving as the professional unit which ensures that the organization has the right people, in the right job, at the right time.
- This is a continuous task that shifts as an organization expands. Also, serving as an employee advocate, the HR unit plays an integral role in organizational success via their knowledge about and advocacy of people.
- The HR objectives are established to support the attainment of the overall strategic organizational plan and objectives. Hence, the HR representatives are entrusted with the knowledge about and the ability to execute successful change strategies make the HR professional exceptionally valued.
- The HR Intern position has been created to bridge the gap in the department in order to provide support to the HR Officer, SHR Officer, HR Manager on HR-related functions which includes but is not limited to; ensuring completion of employee documentation, HR administration and filing as well as documenting all performance actions and ensuring compliance with relevant company and labour practices, and ensuring up-to-date maintenance of personnel files, database as well as logistical support for the full cycle recruiting process.
- The HR Intern will also serve as the clerical focal point and liaison between the field office and head office on HR administrative-related activities.
- The HR Intern will be responsible for working with his/her direct line manager and other members of staff in order to complete all outstanding employee and job filing, manage the departmental calendar, provide backend HR documentation & data collation support & internal customer service & external customer support services.
- At the end of the internship period, the intern should have acquired the following skills and knowledge
- Develop a working knowledge of HR information databases and searchable resources.
- Attends seminars and meetings relative to the HR profession.
- Cultivate interpersonal skills.
- Develop negotiating and public speaking skills.
- Read all assigned literature.
- Improve the department filing systems.
- Complete all outstanding filing.
- Proofread HR documents as required.
- Actively manage the team calendar.
- Provide onsite and offsite event management.
- Ensure all job files and personnel files are populated by end of the assignment
- Maintain digital and electronic records of employees.
- Provide event management support during clinics, retreats, training sessions & events.
- Support the team to perform files audit and request for outstanding documents required in the personnel and job files.
- Filing all papers and documents into appropriate employee files, prepare new employee files. Collate all approved leave forms, maintain the database for staff benefits such as Staff Health Insurance/ Accident Insurance Plan
- Support the department by updating records of new and exited staff.
- Schedule meetings, HR events, maintain agendas and active calendar management.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest HR trends and best practices.
- Provide general and clerical support to the HR department and other duties as required.
Ideal Candidate Requirements
The ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of HND / Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences.
- Not less than One (1) Year Post-NYSC experience.
- A demonstrated ability to process information into action in a timely manner.
- Possess positive attitude, Demonstrated integrity, confidentiality and approachability.
- Ability to work well under pressure, follow instructions and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to use the following Microsoft Productivity tools: Excel and Word.
- Ability to express oneself through excellent communication skills: Verbal and Written.
- Fluency in English Language and Hausa language.
- The intern will be expected to work 40 hours a week.
- Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together.
- Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity.
- We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC and have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.
- We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policiesand values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Deadline: 24th March, 2023.
How to Apply: Interested and qualifies candidates should Click Here to apply online
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.