200 + Employees
Medecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
Medecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a private, non-governmental, non-profit worldwide humanitarian organisation. Our organisation provides aid to those in need, victims of natural or man-made catastrophes, and victims of armed conflict without regard to race, religion, faith, or political affiliation. We’ve been in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Doctors Without Borders and the Federal Government of Nigeria makes this possible. We are now working on several health initiatives with the Federal Ministry of Health, state and local government health agencies.
1). Sexual Violence Program Activity Manager
Location: Makurdi, Benue
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Indefinite
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- To ensure an effective MSF Sexual Violence (SV) and Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) response is in place within the mission using a variety of activities varying from mission-wide response capacity assessment, community and staff’s assessment for SV and IPV perception-knowledge-health seeking behaviour, coaching-mentoring and training of staff, development of the mission and project SV-IPV response strategy, the provision of guidance for program development and implementation, training and support of staff (the coordinators, medical activity managers and health promoters) and development of relevant tools, materials.
- To lead, develop and support the Project SV-IPV strategies, protocols and response activities of the mission and the different projects according to the different and changing medical needs and context (including development of strategy, log frame and budget) and developing tools (e.g. training materials, models of care and SV-IPV response health promotion materials, messages and methods)
- To provide technical support and supervise the implementation of the SV-IPV response (protocols and standards) to ensure quality of the medical and psychosocial care in place, in line with MSF protocol and survivor-centered principles.
- To build the capacity of the field teams to enable the implementation of quality comprehensive medical and psychosocial care for survivors of SV-IPV according to MSF protocol.
- Plan, organize, supported,ed and supervise community awareness raising and the Information, Education and Communication (IEC) strategy to increase timely access for survivors of SV and IPV.
- To establish the SV-IPV patient and project documentation (individual survivor’s medical file and medical certificate etc.) and the MSF SV data management tools.
- To prepare and plan in close collaboration with the HR Department and with project team in the associated HR processes for SV-IPV staff involved in his/her activity (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, detection of potential, development and internal communication) in order to ensure having the appropriate team in terms of size, capabilities and skills
- To prepare and support the HoM, Medco, PC and MTL’s in representing MSF before the Ministry of Health and other (inter)national partners for the MSF SV response advocacy and potential national roll-out of area strategies such as national protocols, laws and or lobbying for adequate human resources
- To plan and support the coordinators with annual planning and budgeting for SV-IPV response
- To compile, review and analyze the data coming from the projects in order to contribute to the mission’s reporting as well to analyze data from either community and staff assessments. Documenting lessons learned on activities and operational research in this field
- To monitor and evaluate the functioning of the MSF SV-IPV response at the mission level according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures, ensuring the implementation of the activity
- To monitor and evaluate the SV-IPV response activities at mission level by defining indicators, following up tools and designing contingency plans in collaboration with the Project SV focal point
MSF Section / Context-Specific Accountabilities
SGBV advocacy and community engagement:
- Working closely with PC and MTL, support with technical advice high-level advocacy related to SVIPV in Benue state in coordination with line ministries working in Benue state.
- Together with Medical team, pro-actively map out SGBV stakeholders in the state by identifying thematic areas such as protection, legal pathways, livelihood and reach out to them through exchange of information, meetings and reporting.
- Lead and support the daily work of SVIPV through coordination with MTL, MWAM, PC on the operationalization of the project SVIPV objectives.
- Together with MTL and MWAM monitor best practices at state level all related to policy-making, capacity building, awareness raising and data gathering on SGBV and HP.
- Lead the development and implementation of a sustainable SVIPV strategy, including consulting with all relevant stakeholders.
Management and Supervision of Medical Activities:
- Leads the collaboration between SV-IPV, Sexual and Reproductive Health, Mental Health, and Health Promotion teams as it relates to the SV-IPV strategy
- Community engagement and implementation of survivor-led programming, including but not limited to: FGDs, exit surveys, feedback mechanisms, reporting back to the community and adjusting strategy depending on feedback, implementation of the survivor-led committee(s), peer support group(s), etc.
- Working in collaboration with Midwife Activity Manager for youth centre co-design and increasing adolescents’ access to SV-IPV services
- Work with Medical Team Leader on the implementation of the PrEP referral program with NGO APIN: including but not limited to the development of standard operating procedure, coordinating training, supervision of staff and monitoring referrals
- Supervision of SV-IPV Supervisor in management of SVIPV program.
- Together with MTL, assesses other geographic locations or target groups for possible implementation of community-based care.
- Ensure the availability of essential SGBV response interventions by developing a referral system, which includes comprehensive gender-based violence case management, psychosocial support/mental health services, legal assistance (if applicable), and capacity-strengthening of local service providers, in line with international standards.
Human Resources Management:
- In close coordination with the HR/Admin department and medical team, plan and supervise the associated processes of the medical staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure optimal performance. This includes recruitment of HP, MH staff, training, evaluation, development and communication.
- Participate in making duty/on call rosters and shift schedules for HP, MH, if needed.
- Carry out HR & training needs assessment and communicate the necessary recommendations to the PMR/Medco
- Provide ongoing oversight, training and guidance to SV supervisor, MH supervisor, HP supervisor to ensure SGBV programming meets best practice standards and prioritizes the safety and security of beneficiaries and staff.
- National staff health is responsible in close collaboration with MTL depending on profile.
- Medical Doctor, Nurse or Midwife, with extensive experience in SV programming and implementation.
- Profile of a Psychologist or anthropologist can be considered, depending on experience and specific assignment in the country.
- Preferable: Evidence of attending MSF SV, EVA training.
- At least 3 years of progressive experience in a similar capacity with NGO with a focus on SGBV program.
- MSF experience is an added advantage
- Experience with SV assessment, including use of qualitative methods such as FGD and semi-structured interviews for both community and formal/nonformal stakeholder assessment
- Experience with development program strategy, models of care, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience with SV-IPV staff capacity assessment (using knowledge-skills-practice) and training of staff in survivor-centred principles, identification of sexual violence and training on medical care provision.
- Experience with SV-IPV community and formal/informal stakeholders sensitization and awareness-raising
- Essential, mission language; local working language would be an asset.
- Computer literacy is essential.
- Knowledge of SV and IPV guidelines and tools
- MSF health information system
- Strategic Vision, Leadership, People Management and Development, Service Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation
Application Closing Date
30th November 2023 (5:00PM).
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter, latest Curriculum Vitae (CV), and photocopies of only necessary credentials as one document with telephone contact details (daytime), to: [email protected] using “SVPAM” as the subject of the mail.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- NO Transportation and/or allowance will be provided during the recruitment process.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization
- Any documents sent to MSF-OCA (CV, cover letter, copies of diploma, recommendations letters) will not be returned by MSF-OCA.
2). Energy Specialist
Contract Period: 6 months (Possibility of extension)
Contract: 208 working hours per month
- Carry out the assessments and ensure the implementation, day-to-day management and control of the technical part of projects in the energy (and HVAC if relevant) domain, in accordance with MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to ensure the optimal functioning of the project and the infrastructures and efficient use of systems and equipment.
- In collaboration with his/her managers, provide support and guidance to the field staff in order to ensure that all electrical (and HVAC if relevant) installations comply with MSF standards, protocols and procedures, and the preventive and corrective maintenance is done accordingly.
- Carry out evaluations, feasibility and detailed studies of the project to present hierarchical superiors different possible solutions to the difficulties encountered in his/her area of specialization, namely the installation, construction and commissioning of electrical (and HVAC if relevant) installations. In direct contact with staff, identify project needs and manage responses of requests by establishing priorities.
- Provide support to the teams in the field in the energy (and HVAC if relevant) domain and assist in the training of project
- technicians to make them autonomous for preventive maintenance, basic troubleshooting and small jobs. Ensuring that technicians are able to implement safely procedure for themselves and users.
- Guides and supports the field teams to define and implement preventive and corrective maintenance procedures.
- Raises the awareness on energy use for all staff and advice on strategies to improve energy efficiency of the site.
- Provide training for technicians on appropriate use and maintenance of existing and new installations.
- Act as an itinerant support of the mission implementing proposed solutions when needed and provide managers with duly documented technical advice.
- If necessary, defines procedures and / or protocols for the proper functioning of the electrical (and HVAC if relevant) installations in the field.
- Performs regular inspections of the interventions and condition of the electrical (and HVAC if relevant) installations.
- Participates in the evaluation of local actors and ensures the quality of services and supplies.
- Checks and advises on international orders for consumables and replacement equipment.
- Ensures the management of stocks and equipment in his/her specialty area at mission level
- Ensures that all design, operating and maintenance documentation is up to date (report, asset management tool, diagrams and layouts, consumption reports, power assessments, cooling and heating need assessments).
- Ensure that the right equipment and electrical tools are in place and correctly used.
- Conduct comprehensive electrical assessment for all MSF facilities, including regular RCD checks, Earthing tests, and other electrical safety checks for both Abuja and the project locations
- Identifying, defining and implementing solutions and strategies that reduce the environmental footprint of the electrical installations (and HVAC if relevant) in the mission/projects. These strategies englobe not only technical solutions but also how the electrical installations are used, maintained and managed.
- The main objective of reducing the environmental footprint entails energy efficiency, reducing the carbon dioxide emissions, a proper waste management and the use of sustainable and adapted solutions according to the context.
- Education (Essential): Technical Diploma in Electrical or Technical University Degree in Energy, Mechanical and / or Electricity domain
- Experience (Essential): At least one year of working experience in logistics-related activities in the concerning specialty.
- Desirable previous experience with MSF or other NGOs, and working experience in developing countries.
- Languages Mission language essential. Local language desirable
- Knowledge Computer literacy – MS Office softwares, Internet, AutoCAD knowledge is desirable.
Gross Monthly Salary
- According to MSF National Salary Scale
Application Closing Date
30th November, 2023.
Note: MSF encourages women and people with disabilities to apply.
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
Scope of Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Transporting MSF staff, patients and materials under good safety conditions and responsible for the fleet maintenance and the appropriate use and maintenance of MSF vehicles, in accordance with MSF rules, standards and protocols in order to have the vehicles in optimal running conditions.
- As driver, performing the tasks of transporting authorized goods and passengers in an MSF vehicle, ensuring its technical and safety conditions and respecting the country’s traffic rules and MSF security rules in order to provide a safe, smooth and efficient service. Responsibilities are same as stated in the Driver JP (as per attached).
- As mechanic, in charge of maintaining all MSF vehicles and generators, ensuring that they are in good working condition and that they have the necessary materials and equipment, such as tools, emergency box, radio, spare parts, etc. Tasks includes fixing minor mechanical problems and liaising with the Fleet Supervisor for major mechanical problems. Ensuring that staff have and uses the appropriate protective materials.
- Maintaining up to date and accurate department stock cards and tracking the consumption and condition of products dedicated to MSF vehicles. Using materials according to MSF policies and procedures and in collaboration with the Supply Chain Supervisor, preparing the monthly LPO
- For the fleet management, responsible for planning and organizing the weekly check-up and service of the vehicles according to MSF policies and procedures. After every service, repair and check-up, completing the necessary documents, such as logbook, check-up sheet and monthly report. Reporting any mechanical breakdown to the Mechanic specialist and Logistics Supervisor.
- Ensuring that all cars have the required papers and equipment (roadbooks, triangle, fire extinguisher, road triangle, spare oil, coolant, map, insurance driver licenses, matriculation, etc.)
- Assist the Mechanic specialist and Logistics Manager with identifying necessary driver training and making appropriate trainer recommendations.
- Provide the logistics team with a mechanic monthly report outlining progress, challenges, and upcoming maintenance plans.
- In order to ensure the safety of all passengers and other road users, MSF places a high importance on its drivers being extra cautious and highly knowledgeable of traffic rules. This includes a thorough understanding of traffic signs, speed limits, right-of-way rules, and defensive driving techniques. Additionally, drivers are expected to regularly review and refresh their knowledge of traffic laws and regulations to maintain a high level of safety while on the road.
- Essential literacy, Driving license and basic mechanic skills.
- Minimum of 2 years related experience.
- Commitment to MSF Principles, Behavioural Flexibility, Results and Quality Orientation, Stress Management, Teamwork and Cooperation.
Deadline: 27th November, 2023.
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should use the links below to apply:
- Applications must be in English and include:
- Complete CV with cover letter and Copies of all certificates and diplomas mentioned in the CV.
- Updated contact details and ID
- Contact information of the previous employer/s for reference.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.