200 + Employees
African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB), which was founded in 1964, is the top organization for pan-African development, supporting social and economic advancement all throughout the continent. There are 80 members, 54 of which are regional member countries in Africa. In order to significantly decrease poverty via inclusive and sustainable economic growth, transformative initiatives need both financial and technical support, which the Bank is providing as part of its development strategy.
Title: Capacity Development Officer, ECAD1
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL6
- The core mandate of the Vice Presidency (ECVP) is to lead the Bank Group on prioritizing the generation, analysis, dissemination, brokering and implementation of relevant knowledge solutions in all High-5 operational priorities and the cross-cutting themes of its Ten-Year Strategy.
- Such solutions must be a clear response to priority development challenges facing regional member countries (RMCs), individually or collectively and need to involve RMCs in both the planning and implementation of the solutions.
- The key focus areas include: (i) research on major development issues facing Africa and their relation to global economic governance and other major global public goods; (ii) country diagnostics and future perspectives; (iii) policy dialogue and advisory services; (iv) economic, sector, and thematic knowledge work; (v) improving national and sub-regional statistical systems; (vi) preparation, design and support to implementation of public financial management and Governance operations; (vii) capacity development for policy formulation and implementation; (viii) technical assistance and advice related to RMCs’ management of natural resources; and (vii) knowledge dissemination and development of national, regional, and inter regional knowledge networks.
Department / Division
- The African Development Institute coordinates and oversees Capacity Development in the Bank Group and the Bank’s capacity development interventions (training, technical assistance and policy dialogue) in the Regional Member Countries (RMCs) for enhanced development effectiveness in the RMCs.
- The Departments lead the Bank’s implementation of several flagship initiatives including the Public Finance Management Academy (PFMA), Executive Training on Macro-economic Policy Management in Africa (MEMA), the Bank’s Global Community of Practice (G-CoP) Dialogue; the Kofi A. Annan Eminent Speakers Lecture Series (ESLS); the Public Service delivery Index for Africa (PSDI) among others. The Department comprises of three Divisions – (i) Program Management Division (ECAD.1); Policy Management Division (ECAD.2); and (iii) Knowledge Management and Information services Division (ECAD.3), each lead by a manager who reports to the Senior Director.
- The Capacity Development Officer, ECAD.1, will play an active role in the day-to-day delivery of the Department’s mandate, ensure that high-quality standards are observed, and collaborate with the staff of the Bank’s other departments and outside partners to promote capacity development in Africa.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Manager, Program Development Division (ECAD1), the Capacity Development officer will:
- Conceptualize, develop, implement and undertake post-implementation evaluation of institutional capacity and fiduciary clinics (ICFCs) to enhance the capacity of project implementation units and relevant government project implementing agencies across the Bank’s project cycle. This includes contributing to the quality at entry of Bank programs and projects.
- Contribute to the preparations of the Country Capacity Development Needs Assessments (CCDNA), including sector-specific capacity development markers to inform the mainstreaming of capacity development indicators in the Bank’s investments for each High-5s sectors in countries.
- Develop programs, strategies, and concept notes for capacity development in support of Regional Member countries.
- Undertake research on capacity development needs of the public, private and non-governmental institutions in Africa on any topic relevant for achieving the Bank’s High 5s and improving the quality of capacity development in Africa.
- Manage the delivery of capacity development activities such as workshops, seminars, conferences, and roundtable high-level meetings at the Bank’s headquarters and in the Bank’s Regional Member Countries.
- Work with relevant Bank Units, especially Departments in the Economic Governance and Knowledge Management Complex to prepare, review, and finalize Bank flagship reports and other research projects. Actively engage in both internal and external resource mobilization for capacity development initiatives.
- Contribute to preparing the quarterly, semi-annual and annual Capacity Development Reports.
- Assist the Capacity Development Coordination Committee to ensure proper mainstreaming and coordination of capacity development in the Bank.
- Prepare briefs, information notes, and news articles on the activities of the Division and in support of the leadership of the Bank, based on demand.
- Undertake evaluation of the effectiveness of capacity development effectiveness and work program of the Division.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Division Manager and other leadership of the Bank.
Competence (Skills, Experience and Knowledge):
- Hold a Master’s Degree in Economics, Finance, Public Policy or a related discipline.
- Minimum of four (4) years of extensive, relevant, and progressive experience in capacity development, teaching, research or operations with proven competence and ability to develop concept notes, design training programs and deliver lectures in one of the following fields: (i) Macroeconomics / Economic Management; (ii) Financial Sector Development; (iii) Fiscal Affairs (including revenue generation and debt management); and (iv) Fiduciary Affairs in Project cycle management (Procurement, Financial Management, and Disbursement).
- Experience in writing notes, reports and briefs and ability to handle knowledge dissemination.
- Ability to interpret policies, guidelines and procedures and draw personal judgment.
- Ability to think strategically and link the goals of the Division and Department to the Bank’s core strategic goals and set priorities accordingly.
- Strong quantitative analytical skills with a passion for figures and a mastery of the use of relevant software to prepare pictorials, charts and graphs.
- Sound knowledge and good understanding of capacity development needs in Africa at national levels and also at the level of project implementation units.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills and capacity to write proposals for resource mobilization.
- Capacity to conceptualize new approaches and innovation in capacity development and to develop user friendly training materials.
- A demonstrated team player with strong communication, problem-solving, self-organization and time management skills.
- A client and results-oriented individual with a proactive attitude.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (attach a sample of own writings) in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Deadline: 20th July, 2023.
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.