200 + Employees
Mastercard – The world’s quickest payments processing network is powered by us, a multinational technological corporation. In addition to being a platform for trade, we also serve as the home of Priceless®, a financial system for those who were previously shut out. We guarantee that each employee has the chance to make a difference in people’s lives and to contribute to something greater. As our business expands, we think you ought to as well. Our mission is to provide everyone access to innumerable, precious opportunities.
Title: Director, Public Policy – West Africa
Job ID: R-196671
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job Type: Full time
- An experienced public policy practitioner to drive Mastercard’s advocacy efforts in a cluster of countries in Western Africa, with the flexibility to take different responsibilities in other clusters within Sub-Saharan Africa or the wider Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (EEMEA) region, depending on function and business needs.
- The successful candidate will bring a positive commitment to joining a dynamic and collaborative team focused on the formulation and implementation of strategic plans for government and third-party influencer engagement to positively shape the policy debate and outcome.
The Key Objectives Are
- Position Mastercard as a trusted partner and enabler of the national agenda, focusing on accelerating the migration to digital payments to enable digital economies, spur innovation and drive financial inclusion.
- Enable business and safeguard Mastercard’s interests by advocating a conducive policy and regulatory environment.
- Create a positive cycle of engagement whereby Mastercard’s policy advocacy is reinforced by demonstrating the company’s local relevance and value proposition through strategic communications and government programs.
- Based in Lagos or Abuja, the jobholder will work closely with colleagues in the business, legal and regulatory functions to ensure issues that are of concern to Mastercard are identified and managed in a way that benefits Mastercard and our stakeholders.
- Develop and execute public policy strategy and implementable engagement programs for the countries in scope. These programs will be designed to both preemptively and reactively head-off and respond to legislative, policy and regulatory threats to Mastercard and the electronic payments industry.
- Brief country, regional and global executive management on relevant policy developments, recommend appropriate course of action and work closely with internal stakeholders to move the agenda forward.
- Establish and enhance relationships with key government officials and third-party influencers.
- Coordinate Industry cooperation efforts on non-competitive public policy issues and represent Mastercard in Industry forums, associations and related forums and activities.
- Manage external agencies to represent and advocate Mastercard’s interests.
- University Degree level, with experience in similar Public Policy or Government Relations roles in a major multinational Business, Consultancy, Government, Trade Association or a Regulatory Authority.
- The ideal candidate will have a distinguished track record as a high achieving public policy practitioner with a demonstrated capability to develop and successfully execute policy advocacy programs.
- An intimate working knowledge of the processes and inner workings of the legislative and political process and an ability to analyze the impact of legislation on Mastercard and develop strategies to move the company’s interests forward.
- Strong leadership skills, sound priority-setting, strategic thinking and communication, ability to work autonomously and to handle multiple priorities, inscrutable integrity.
- A collaborative team player who will work well with senior management and peers, as a high-energy, self-motivated and results-driven individual.
- Must possess strong analytical approach to problem solving, ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems, ability to deal with short deadlines and to work productively in high pressure situations in dynamic commercial and policy environments.
- Excellent written and spoken English communication and interpersonal skills as a foundation for developing and maintaining strong relationships at all levels, cross-functionally and across business units and geographies within Mastercard.
- Willing to travel both within the countries of scope, and as necessary to the regional headquarters in Dubai, global headquarters in the US or other Mastercard locations.
- Knowledge and experience in technology, the financial services and payments sector are valued. Candidate needs not be currently working in these sectors, but prior experience/familiarity is a clear plus.
Deadline: Not Specified.
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to apply online
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
- Abide by Mastercard’s Security policies and practices;
- Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
- Report any suspected information security violation or the breach, and
- Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.