200 + Employees
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme 2024 for International Students
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship program, established in October 2000 with a remarkable donation of US$210 million from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge, stands as the largest single donation ever made to a UK university. The inaugural group of scholars began their academic journey in October 2001, and since then, the Trust has granted over 2,000 scholarships to talented individuals hailing from more than 100 countries. Annually, Gates Cambridge extends around 80 full-cost scholarships to exceptional candidates from countries beyond the United Kingdom. These scholarships enable recipients to pursue postgraduate degrees in any subject area available at the University of Cambridge. Roughly two-thirds of these awards are designated for doctoral (PhD) students, with approximately 25 scholarships offered in the US round and an additional 55 available in the International round. This initiative has consistently fostered academic excellence and global collaboration at one of the world’s most prestigious educational institutions.
Title: Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme
Eligibility for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- If you meet the following criteria, you are eligible to apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- You must be a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
Course of Study: You should be applying to pursue one of the following courses at the University of Cambridge:
- PhD (full-time or part-time*)
- MLitt (full-time)
- One-year postgraduate course (full-time)
Courses that Gates Cambridge does NOT consider:
- Any Undergraduate degree, such as a BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MASt courses
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time, Home students only)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees other than the PhD
- Non-degree courses
What We Look for in Gates Cambridge Scholarship Applicants:
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship program seeks exceptional individuals with diverse backgrounds, and the selection process is based on four key criteria:
- Academic Excellence: Candidates must demonstrate a track record of academic excellence, which is assessed through transcripts, references, relevant experience, and the potential to excel in their chosen course of study. Academic departments at the University of Cambridge nominate applicants who exhibit outstanding academic achievements, ensuring that those selected will thrive in the Cambridge academic environment.
- Reasons for Choice of Course: Applicants should make a compelling case for their choice of postgraduate degree at Cambridge. For PhD applicants (and most research MPhil applicants), making contact with a potential supervisor to develop a research project is crucial, and a summary of this project is part of the application. Applicants must demonstrate their academic background, skills, and expertise necessary to complete the chosen course. Taught MPhil and other applicants must also justify how the proposed course aligns with their career plans. Gates Cambridge is interested in scholars who will undergo an academically transformative experience at Cambridge, so thorough research and justification of the chosen course are essential.
- Commitment to Improving Lives: A core characteristic of the Gates Cambridge program is the commitment of its Scholars to enhancing the well-being of others. This criterion is broadly interpreted, and applicants define it by presenting evidence of their past, current, and future dedication to the societies in which they will live and work. This commitment can take various forms and should be evident in the applicant’s record.
- Capacity for Leadership: Successful applicants should demonstrate their capacity for leadership, which can be exhibited in various ways. Applicants should provide evidence of their leadership experiences to date and articulate how their leadership skills can make a meaningful impact in their future careers.
Note on PhD vs. Masters Awards: The Gates Cambridge Scholarship program aims to maintain a balanced Scholar community at Cambridge University. Therefore, approximately two-thirds of the scholarships are allocated to PhD candidates each year. Those applying for taught Masters programs should pay special attention to explaining why this particular course is the best fit for them and how it is crucial to their future academic or professional training plans.
Deadline: 11 Oct/5 Dec 2023/4 Jan 2024
How to Apply: Interested candidates should Click Here to apply online.
Note, you must read this application instruction before applying. APPLICATION INSTRUCTION
Visit the Official Website of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship program