Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programme and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition.
Title: Human Resource Professional
Job Requisition ID: R112232
Job Family Group: Human Resources Jobs
Worker Type: Regular
Experience Level: Experienced Professionals
- If you’re a Human Resources (HR) professional with proven experience, we can offer you the opportunity to work at the heart of our Human Resources Operations
Where You Fit In?
- Providing a world class HR experience to employees and line managers is essential in a changing and competitive landscape.
- As we transition to cleaner forms of energy, the challenge facing Shell and the wider energy industry in the coming decades is considerable.
- As a Human Resources professional, you have an important role in building a great place to work for our people, enabling them to be their best, which in turns supports Shell to be its best.
- You will be on the front line of creating exceptional HR experiences, provided HR support to employees and Line Managers.
What’s the Role?
As an HR Advisor within our HR Operations team, you will be accountable for:
- Supporting Line Managers with key people, organizational management and resourcing activities, whilst delivering a seamless and exceptional employee experience
- Providing quality HR advice and coaching support to employees and line managers on a range of people related issues and cases
- Supporting the delivery and execution of global/local change and improvement initiatives.
- Diagnosing incoming requests to establish the needs of the line manager and/or employees; and subsequently taking ownership for resolution and seamless integration with other HR Centres of excellence and parts of the HR model.
- Supporting resourcing processes in collaboration with other operations teams/global teams for the execution of local and international transfers.
Learning Solutions Advisor:
As a Learning Solutions Advisor within our Learning Solutions Asset Delivery Team, you will be accountable for:
- Your table-stakes will be that the agreed capability development priorities for your population are delivered to the levels agreed with local asset stakeholders. You will ensure understanding of the national, local and site regulations and standards affecting your population and ensure the right learning portfolio is available to them, working with learning operations and local partners to ensure delivery.
- Your will also support Asset capability development by leveraging the global portfolios in leadership, technical, commercial, personal and business skills. You will ensure that the capability needs of your population, are delivered and measured locally.
- You’re a vital conduit for the global portfolios and the Enterprise leadership learning team to understand changing business needs and ensuring an effective connection between business needs and global portfolio provide an exciting challenge.
Employee/Industrial relations advisor:
- As we transition to cleaner forms of energy, the challenge facing Shell and the wider energy industry in the coming decades is considerable. Employee and Industrial Relations (ER/IR) Teams have an important role in building a great place to work for our people, enabling them to be their best, which in turns supports Shell to be its best. Specifically, as an ER/IR advisor you will be proactively managing and enabling a thriving ER/IR environment in country, using data and insights to proactively identify emerging ER/IR trends and define mitigations for potential future risks.
The role consists of the following aspects:
Employee Relations and Employee Engagement:
- Manage high-impact or high-risk collective or individual disciplinary, grievance or other ER issues.
- Advise on employee relations impacts related to organizational change, reductions in workforce, acquisitions and divestitures.
- Manage local consultation requirements, including advice on leader communications.
- Act as trusted advisor/offer coaching to senior leaders (formal/informal).
- Develop and leverage relationship with internal Employee Representative bodies.
- With the support of the leaders, feedback from Employee Representative bodies, HR Advice, and analytics, understand the mood and risk areas in the organization and anticipate the topics can create unhealthy conflict or longer-term disengagement.
- Run proactive interventions aimed at improving quality of leadership and the employee experience.
- Drive and support an inclusive workforce for Shell in the country/location
- Develop and leverage relationship with Union, employer and industry associations.
- Represent Shell externally as a recognised expert in country-specific issues.
- Lead collective bargaining negotiations incl. strategy setting and manage external and internal stakeholders.
- Prevent and manage industrial action.
- Have oversight and influence of major contractors in their IR strategy/tactics where applicable (in partnership with CP).
- Stay informed of IR strategies within major Contractor companies.
- Lead the assessment of IR management component of contractor tenders and manage relationship with employers of contractors (regulation of terms, co-employment risk).
HR Crisis Management, HSSE, Compliance & Ethics:
- Responsible for local crisis management governance and manage HR angle of crisis in collaboration with key stakeholders like Country Chair, RE, Health and Services.
- Lead complex HR investigations, Global Helpline complaints and other grievances.
- Ensure duty of care towards employees and contractors (worker welfare) Capability and community building.
Capability and community building:
- Take personal leadership in building a thriving ER/IR team and wider local HR team.
- Drive collaboration and inclusion within HR through ‘Joined-up’ HR team/mindset regardless of reporting line/location.
- Ensure robust information & knowledge management relating to country specific ER/IR content.
- Ensure good knowledge of Labor Practice standards internally and keeping up to date with the external news and developments.
What We Need From You?
- We’re keen to hear from HR professionals who have at least 4 years’ experience in a Human Resources role.
Beyond that, we’d like to see the following on your CV:
- Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related degree
- Experience communicating with managers and employees and providing advice and expertise in HR areas such as processes, policies, employment laws, and compensation and benefits.
- Good knowledge of HR Information and Analysis skills
- Labour and Employment Law knowledge
- Strong communication and written skills
- Proven diagnostic and investigation skills
- Professional HR certification – CIPM Membership and/or relevant international HR certifications will be an added advantage
- Professional experience in either Industrial Relations or Project Management / Continuous Improvement will be a significant advantage.
We’re keen to hear from HR professionals who have at least 4 years’ experience in a Human Resources role:
- Required Learning professional expertise in needs analysis, build/borrow/buy, curation, planning, change management, delivery and measurement / evaluation, you have good understanding of the asset’s business such that you can credibly engage with business stakeholders and can quickly learn their language. You must be willing to invest time to rapidly build a knowledge and a network across the assignment client teams.
- You will have or quickly develop professional learning skills such as familiarity with instructional design theories, practice and methods; ability to storyboard and communicate vision to customers; project management; ability to create and curate digital material/media; optimal use of learning technologies; strong data analysis skills and evidence led approach to continuous improvement of learning provision.
- To deliver against the mission of Learning Solutions ways-of-working are crucial. You will bring an outcome focus and ‘from the business back’ mindset to the role. You are comfortable in dealing with ambiguity and have a passion for integrating and collaborating across organizational boundaries. You challenge the status quo and drive for simplification.
- You bring a Learner Mindset, a curiosity to learn and grow, learn from mistakes, successes and speak up openly in a safe environment.
- You will bring strong effective stakeholder management skills to the role -stakeholders include line GMs who the role supports, capability manager, external (3rd party) vendors, learning portfolio owners in global functions and enterprise learning etc.
- In order to meet the requirements of the commercial regimes in Nigeria, you will be comfortable with budget planning, management and budget and activity reporting or have an aptitude to acquire these skills in a short period of time.
- Flexible working arrangements (including part-time working) are supported where feasible, and are subject to applicable local policies, regulations and legislative frameworks. If appropriate, please make clear in your application the type of flexible working arrangements you would like to be considered.
The ER/IR Advisor should be the expert on employee engagement, and complex ER/IR case management, balancing understanding of local labor laws and practices with empathy and employee centricity. We’re keen to hear from HR professionals who have at least 4 years’ experience in a Human Resources role:
- Deep subject matter expertise in local Employee and Industrial Relations legislation, practices and processes
- Strong coaching and influencing skills to be able to effectively manage a broad range of both external and internal stakeholders.
- Able to identify and understand local external market trends (economic, political, social) and derives insights to drive effective a long-term ER environment.
- Effective relationship and collaboration skills to manage Forums, stakeholders and work with other parts of the HR/business organization
- An ability to look at the big picture, suggest and drive change to proactively and positively support the culture of the organization
- Organizational health/capability diagnostic and design skills
- Strong diagnostic and evaluation skills – able to distil key themes and value drivers from complex and sometimes conflicting data and insights
- A sense of humor and strong sense of teamwork and partnership with others
- Bring a Learner Mindset, curiosity to learn and grow yourself, learning from mistakes and a commitment to create an environment where people can speak up openly in a safe environment.
Deadline: Not Specified.
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to apply online