British American Tobacco Plc – Headquartered in London, United Kingdom, British American Tobacco Plc (informally known as BAT) is a renowned multinational tobacco company. As one of the world’s top five largest tobacco companies, BAT has established a prominent global presence.
Title: Legal Counsel: Commercial & Regulatory
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
- As Legal Counsel in a dynamic and fast-paced team of other experienced team members across BAT’s Sub-Saharan Africa Area, you will provide proactive commercial legal and regulatory counseling and support to internal stakeholders and business units with a focus on Nigeria (and WCA markets, where required). You will work closely with the Corporate, Regulatory Affairs, and Human Resources colleagues to achieve and maintain a strong solid understanding of business and regulatory developments and issues arising in the context of the regulatory developments and in the entry, and marketing of BAT’s products as well as employment-related issues.
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
- Provide legal and commercially driven counselling and support to internal stakeholders to drive Business decisions and strategic direction as the Business evolves.
- Draft, review contractual documentation, renewal, negotiation and develop where applicable standard formats, to ensure that the Company’s interests are adequately protected.
- Participating actively in problem-solving, decision-making in assigned areas of Business
- Advise and support on corporate and commercial projects, finance regulatory audits, bank guarantees, Indemnities, corporate structuring, finance, treasury, tax & excise.
- Provide robust legal advisory on varied employment-related matters (not limited to restructuring, employee dispute resolution, employer’s obligations, disciplinary proceedings) based on applicable laws, regulations and global best practices.
- Achieve objectives through an effective combination of external (external counsel/consultant briefing) and internal resources (own efforts and output) to drive cost savings and managing time.
- Develop and organize and support training for employees and internal business units.
- Drive for continuous improvement in the compliance and control environment
- Analyzing regulatory proposals, legislation, potential trends and articulating impact on the Business and stakeholders, in language and manner for varied internal stakeholders
- Actively propose and support legal projects and initiatives as legal department’s value-add to the rest of the Business
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Qualified Lawyer
- Minimum 10 years post-call qualification with experience in commercial and regulatory law
- In-depth understanding of updated legal and regulatory issues
- Work across a wide range of issues demonstrating prioritization, pragmatic solution-oriented advice, and sound commercial judgement.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to explain and interpret legal issues being mindful of the audience.
- High degree of ability to build relationships, influence and work collaboratively
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools.
- Solution-oriented person
- Previous experience in a commercial service law firm and/or multinational consumer goods or distribution retail business.
Deadline: Not specified
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to apply.