200 + Employees
University of British Columbia Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2024/2025 for Study in Canada (Fully Funded)
The University of British Columbia is pleased to collaborate with The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme to offer full scholarships to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Programme provides academically gifted but economically disadvantaged young people with access to education. Scholars in the Programme have demonstrated a commitment to giving back to their communities and developing the leadership required to contribute to the continent’s social and economic transformation.
Title: University of British Columbia Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2024/2025
About the Program:
- The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is a 10-year global initiative to educate and develop next-generation leaders who will contribute to social and economic progress. The Program enables young people from economically disadvantaged communities to complete quality secondary and tertiary education, and make successful transitions to further education, or to the workforce in their home countries. Through comprehensive support, Scholars receive learning opportunities that equip them with knowledge, skills, and values needed to succeed in the economy, and make positive impacts in their communities.
- Scholars in the Program are primarily from Africa. In recent years, the continent has experienced unprecedented economic progress and political resurgence. More than 60 percent of its population is under the age of 25, making it the youngest continent. Yet, Sub-Saharan Africa is the region with the lowest enrollment rates in secondary and tertiary education.
- The Program will educate an estimated 15,000 young people from economically disadvantaged communities. This network of next-generation leaders – unified by a common philosophy of change and ethical leadership – will drive social and economic transformation in their communities.
To be eligible for consideration for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Masters’ Degree Program at UBC, the applicant must:
- Have completed a Bachelor’s degree.
- Not already possess a graduate or PhD degree.
- Be 35 years old or younger at the time of application.
- Be a citizen or refugee of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances.
- Have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances.
- Show leadership qualities or potential.
- Demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to their home community.
- Be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada.
- Not be a person who claimed or will claim asylum or protected person status after arriving in Canada.
- Commit to returning to Africa to apply their training and skills for the betterment of others.
Steps to Apply
Step One: Assess Your Eligibility
- Decide your Program(s) of Interest from the provided list.
- Consult the Minimum Academic Requirements/International Credentials for Graduate Students, listed by country, to determine your academic eligibility.
- Consult the program website to ensure you possess the appropriate background experience.
Step Two: Additional Tests
- If your Bachelor’s degree was not taught in English, make arrangements to take an English Proficiency Exam (TOEFL or IELTS).
Step Three: MCFSP Application Package
- Complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application by December 1, 2023.
- Submit the package electronically in a single PDF document via email to [email protected].
Step Four: UBC Faculty Applications
- Apply online as instructed upon completing the MCFSP Application.
- Review faculty application instructions and eligibility for fee waivers.
Step Five: Reviewing Process
- In February 2024, faculties will nominate candidates for admission for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship.
- A university-wide selection committee will review applications, rank them, and select award recipients.
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a video interview in April 2024
Deadline: December 1st, 2023.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should Click Here to apply online.